The Certificates of Eligibility were already being handed out when the IRO was still officially known as the Preparatory Commission of the International Refugee Organization (PCIRO). Once the organization had begun to operate under the name IRO in August 1948, the reference to the preparatory commission was crossed out on some of the Certificates of Eligibility. However, they still continued to be valid.