The name of the resettlement center refers to the building in which the camp was located. The former radio barracks (Funkkaserne) of the Wehrmacht in the Munich district of Freimann was not destroyed during the war. For this reason, a transit and resettlement camp for several hundred DPs was established there as early as 1946. Even after the dissolution of the IRO, which had been responsible for the DPs’ care and emigration until the end of 1951, the Funkkaserne continued to be used as a resettlement center.